Disqus

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Shingles

Susan has been diagnosed with shingles, a nerve-root infection caused by Herpes Zoster, the virus that also causes chicken pox. The biggest problem is the painful sores she's got right now, but they should clear in a few days. There's some risk of a neuralgia that could occur later - nerve damage under the skin at the infection site that causes chronic pain in about 20% of patients.

It's a blessing we were able to get her treated with anti-viral meds within 72 hours of the rash appearing since it may have moderated her symptoms. Her symptoms were classic - painful, non-itchy rash on just one side of the body, headache and malaise, with no fever. The rash is contagious for the virus; but those infected would get chicken pox unless they had them already. Shingles can occur later since the virus lies dormant and may spring to life when some has a weakened immune system like Susan. We're thankful to finally name and treat her condition, ending our current mystery.

She'll have an MRI/MRA scan today since her medical team is concerned about blood found in her spinal fluid that could indicate an aneurism. This scan will also be an early view of her tumor instead of the MRI she would have had in two weeks, so I'm sure we'll have a chat and tumor update in the next few days.

We'll meet with her medical team in a few minutes to confirm the outlook, next steps, and find out when she can come home.

2 comments:

Michelle Phy said...

I have an Oligodendroglioma and also have a viral link. The only times that I have been ill in my life prior to this were Scarlet Fever, Chicken Pox, Shingles, Bells Palsy and then the tumor. Many people that I speak to with gliomas or meingiomas have also had the same illnesses. Coincidence ? Unfortunately I am told that it is a whole in my immune system that will only be corrected if someone learns to alter our genes similar to what Dr Burzynski is doing. But it seems the FDA is never going to allow that, money means more to them than lives. Praying for you and your wife and I have experienced the same peace that you refer to. For me my tumor has been a blessing in disguise. Have you ever read Outsmart Your Cancer? It is an excellent book that will help you to look outside of the box.

God Bless,
Michelle, NJ

Stephen Estrello said...

I'm 37 years old and I found out I had herpes in 2010. I was having bad outbreaks. VERY PAINFUL. Six months ago I decided to seach for the herpes cure, because I am confident there is one somewhere in this world. As of the past three months, however, I've been following this herpes program https://herpesykremedy.wordpress.com/9yf/ , and that completely stopped all outbreaks! To my greatest surprise I was cured completely by following this protocol. Don't be discouraged because it will definitely work for you too.