Disqus

Thursday, July 5, 2007

Emergency brain surgery

Wed 07/04/07 am
I arrived at about 12:30am to find her intubated on a ventilator and being moved for a CT scan on the way to the intensive care unit.
Sue's brother Randy came to ICU, and we waited as her vital signs and respirations stabilized, enabling her to have the breathing tube removed, a good thing. She really fought that tube.
She had more limited responsiveness over the following hours – eyes closed, no speech. We were thankful for a grasped hand and wiggled toes on demand. I slept in the ICU lobby for a couple of hours until 6am.
Susan had diminishing responsiveness throughout the day in spite of large doses of meds to reduce brain swelling. Her lethargy increased as she seemed to decline neurologically. Dr Ramin Javahery was the neurosurgeon on call who escalated her surgery from 7/10 to 7/5 pm, then to 7/5 am.


Wed 07/04/07 pm
I went home about 4:30pm to sleep while Sue's aunt Linda stayed by her bed. After an hour's sleep while ignoring the phone, I awoke to the doorbell and loud knocking. Our neighbors told me Sue would be going to surgery immediately and the doctors were waiting for me.
Susan was back on a ventilator when I arrived and was barely conscious. Aunt Linda, our kids, and niece Alyssa were there. I was troubled by Sue's appearance – she was out of it. I prayed for her and the surgeons then joined the family to wait.
Over the course of surgery, about 25 people joined us, waiting in the lobby and gathering to pray and worship in the hospital chapel, not to mention all who prayed wherever they were. That's the Body of Christ for you.
After only an hour and a half, the surgeons emerged with news that they appeared to have removed the majority of tumor while avoiding brain tissue; and Susan was in critical but stable condition. We all rejoiced.
I went back to sit with her in ICU until I went home about 11pm.

No comments: