Disqus

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Gradual improvement, next steps

Sat 07/14/07
Susan continues neurological improvement, feeling more with it and acting more like Susan. Some facts are just not there, while other things come back amazingly. She was eating peas with dinner and finished my rhyme from long ago. I began, "I eat my peas with honey.” She continued, “I've done it all my life; they do taste kind of funny, but it keeps them on my knife." Pretty cool.


Sun 07/15/07
We had another family meeting with Dr. Ceverha, reviewing pre- and post-op MRIs. There's a lot of tumor left in her dominant left frontal lobe, across the corpus collossum and memory strip, and below the mid-line. Affected areas: speech, motor control, memory, personality. We are weighing risks of a second surgery for quantity of life vs the damage surgery may do to quality of life. Obviously, radiation and chemotherapy will be more effective on less tumor mass, but at what cost? Lord, have mercy.
Dr. Ceverha will refer me to a neuro-oncologist at UCLA named Dr. Cloughesy, whom he would see if it were his loved one. His opinion on radiation and chemotherapy for Susan will inform our decision about a 2nd surgery.
We grapple with the medical fact – Susan will die from this tumor. Surgery and treatment will delay and interrupt, but medically speaking, the tumor will eventually overtake her. Lord, have mercy.

I had a quiet evening visit with Susan alone. We talked, held and loved each other and prayed. I recounted events and discussed the seriousness of her tumor and prognosis. I spoke from Colossians 1 about the supremacy of Christ, that cancer has had power over her; but Jesus has power over cancer. I bound, cursed and rebuked cancer in Jesus' name, and commanded her body to devour cancer cells and restore memory and sight. I asked God to improve her vision over what it was before and that she would be able to see, understand, and administer healing of all kinds in others out of the healing she receives from God.
We thanked God for healing her. I am encouraged that Susan believes she will be healed and that this is not her time to die. She knows God has plans to use her as a witness and feels like she has more to live and do for the Lord. Thank you, Father!

Tue 07/17/07
Continued improvement with memory and strength – she's walking more with assistance. Susan really wants to come home for a more normal life.
A routine post-op ultrasound exam found a small blood clot in her thigh. It's not a big deal; but they'll watch it and administer aspirin and exercise. A stronger blood thinner will increase stroke risk.

Another God thing: Susan's brother Randy is marketing director for Cleveland Golf, which donates part of revenue from women's product sales for breast cancer research. Randy "coincidentally" had breakfast today with a pathologist from LBMMC who benefits from these gifts. Dr. Ibarra said he reviewed Susan's lab results along with the pathology team and now has a personal interest in her case. He'll order a duplicate set of slides to replace the sample sent to Mayo Clinic so we'll have it for our consultation at UCLA. He also had more stellar comments about Susan's neurosurgeon to add to our list.

Wed 07/18/07
Susan has had more improvement in memory, awareness and strength, and greater eagerness to be home. She's sort of frustrated in feeling like she's missed out on a lot; but I encourage her not to force it, that memory will continue to be restored.
To protect from the risk of pulmonary embolism from the blood clot, she'll have a procedure tomorrow to implant an IVC filter (in the inferior vena cava, a blood vessel below the heart). Hopefully, she'll be home by Friday.

More visions in prayer for my sister, Becky! She felt God's assurance that He has angels caring for her then saw Susan in her hospital bed with two angels at either side of her head and one at the foot, angled toward the door. They were calmly watching; there was no threat.
Becky saw me sitting in a chair, unaware that an angel had his hand on the top of my head, ministering to me. He moved to my side and removed a sheet of paper from his mouth that had been folded to about 1" square. I opened my mouth unaware and he placed it inside. Becky wondered about what she saw, then understood that God has put His words in my mouth from this angel messenger to be spoken without effort. Also, I am to continue speaking words of life over Susan. Thanks, Lord! I know this thing is not about feelings, but I'm feeling good.

No comments: