Disqus

Sunday, September 21, 2008

A good week at rehab

With her back repair and recent complications behind her, Susan had a good week of rehab at Broadway by the Sea. Therapist Melissa told me it’s been easier for Susan to lean forward for leverage and push herself up to stand without back pain or her rigid brace. Susan walked using her walker about 10-20 yards down the hallway and back with Melissa assisting. She’s been spending a good part of each day out of bed, having meals in the dining room with other patients, having therapy, or sitting in her wheelchair. Her short-term memory is very poor, so when I see her toward the end of the day, she has little or no recollection of how the day went or what she did. That remains a disappointment. Even so, I’m glad she’s in good spirits and is alert and conversational.
This afternoon when the boys and I visited and Susan wanted to move from her wheelchair into bed, I had her try to stand up from her chair. She didn’t quite have the strength to get up by herself, but she needed only about half the assistance from me than before. I also was pleased that she needed less support when standing. In her chair she was able to extend both legs and lift up her feet, another milestone compared to two months ago. I’m encouraged to see the strength Susan has regained.

I had numerous encounters with people at church today ranging from a few words to meaningful conversations and prayer. Once again, I was deeply impressed by the support and care from our family of God. Debbie Thomas conveyed her love for us with empathy and tears. Daniel Gannon carefully asked about each one of our family. Joyce Wybenga radiated love, as always. Gordon and Michael Weisenberger urged me to make sure I take care of myself. Such compassion, loving inquiry, and firm commitment are a human treasure and a gift from God. Each one said they’re praying for us. In my few moments with Craig Chapman, I thanked him for his prayer and told him we feel it. Perhaps wishing he could do more, he said “it’s kind of intangible.” While I agreed, I also told him the effects are quite real. Thanks to God, we have His true peace – I know it makes no sense, but in spite of our circumstances, we know everything is ok.

1 comment:

Ron said...

Hi Guys,

I saw Susan's Mom & Dad on Sunday (me and a couple nice passer byes hepled them push their car out of the street when it quit) and her Mom said Susan is doing well. That's always good to hear. I pray for you guys often.

His peace to you,

Ron Davis