Disqus

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Continued tumor stability, plus a lunch date

Today Susan had her 3rd MRI since beginning her secondary course of treatment for GBM with CPT-11 and Avastin. As Dr Cloughesy compared the scan layer by layer to the one on Aug 27, he noticed no change in Susan’s tumor and was pleased to say the tumor looks stable. In the world of malignant brain cancer, “stable” is a beautiful word. It’s a great relief to see the Avastin appears to be working. With that good news, we proceeded to oncology treatment center for Susan’s bi-weekly infusions. Her blood test today revealed elevated liver enzymes, a signal that her liver is straining to break down the CPT-11. She skipped it this time to give her body a rest. Having only Avastin today reduced our clinic time by an hour and a half and sent us packing by about 12:30. We’re thankful once again for answered prayer and for Susan’s continued improvement.

What to do when it’s lunchtime and you’re at UCLA Medical Center? Stroll down to Westwood! We shared another enjoyable meal together, this time at BJ’s for fish tacos, a chopped salad, and iced teas. Susan’s clearer state of mind recently has allowed for more normal activities and interaction, something we’re both enjoying. She’s much stronger to stand and walk, so transferring from place to place is easier. When we parked this morning, she showed improved initiative by unbuckling her seatbelt, opening her car door, and swinging her legs out. Later when we left, she buckled her seatbelt by herself. These usually are small things, but are significant for her.

Susan did poorly in her neurological quiz this morning and didn’t remember the month, day, date, place, or even why she was there – she said it was for her throat. Such low orientation is frustrating and discouraging for her, but is not devastating. I remind her that she can’t help it, that she’s doing her best, and that she hasn’t done anything wrong. In spite of her cognitive weakness and short-term memory loss, we still have lucid conversations about meaningful things and sometimes not-so-meaningful things – like when Nurse Denise brought Susan some graham crackers while she was receiving Avastin. I opened the package for her and asked, “Would you like some crackers now?” She replied, “Yes, I would.”


I held them and said, “I have an idea. Why don’t I eat the crackers and you can watch me?” “No, I don’t think that’s a good idea at all. Those are my crackers.” I handed them over. After a minute or two, she said, “Would you like one?” “No,” I said, “my wife won’t let me have any.” “She must be very mean.” “Oh, you have no idea. I ought to call Husband Protective Services. She’s brutal to me.” “You probably deserve it.”

No comments: