Disqus

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Quiet days

These are quiet days at home as the kids are back in the fall routine of school and church activities. Susan has our awesome team of caregiver friends helping her and has been needing lots of rest. It’s always hard to tell whether her tiredness results from tumor burden or chemo; but fatigue sets in now sooner than before, comes on quickly, and requires a couple hours’ sleep to clear. Aside from weakness and needing rest, her condition is stable. With a progressive disease like GBM, we’re often as grateful for stability as we are for improvement. Her fighting spirit persists – she tells me often she’s going to get better and will keep trying. That’s a medicine as vital as any other and is itself a gift from God.

Our kids are heroes! I reflected lately on the way life has changed for Lexie, Austin & Adam since the summer of 2007 when their mom was suddenly hospitalized and death was near. I’m immensely proud of how they’ve held up, trusted God, trusted me, and supported their mom. Each of them has matured courageously.

I remember when their first reaction in being asked to help with household chores was to complain. The very idea insults the teenage mind. But as crisis erupted, they stepped up. Adam sets the table for dinner, feeds the dog and handles backyard turd patrol. Austin clears the table, empties trashes and moves the barrels for trash day. Lexie takes care of the laundry along with her school and work schedule. Both boys help with dishes and yard work. Managing our home together now is a regular part of life – not fun, but what we need to do. I still need to fire the starting gun or pry the electronics out of their hands – but our kids are terrific helpers. I enjoy watching them walk over to smooch and love on Mom, and play and tease with her. Since this journey began for our family, I’ve been mindful of their need to be kids and not disrupt the activities and relationships that come with this phase of their lives. Perhaps this normalcy has helped us have room for challenges as Mom’s illness ushered in the “new normal” for our family. At any rate, I love Lexie, Austin & Adam and I’m proud to be their dad.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michael,
As I read this posting, I thought about what it may have been like if my mom were diagnosed when I was a teenager still at home (instead of in my early 30's with a newborn). It made me realize that these things never have good timing. With your help, I have learned to accept that we just have to go with it and trust Him. As always, your blog helps me to keep my perspective in alignment.
Praying for your family,
Jennifer Neisz Fort Myers FL

Michael Buccowich said...

Thank you, Jennifer. It's true, there's never a good time for life to be up-ended. But since we have a God who is loving, powerful, and faithful, he's worthy of our trust that he will work it our for good on our behalf. I'm learning that discovering he's trustworthy is as important as whatever fix he'll eventually deliver. Thanks for your care and prayer...mpb