Disqus

Thursday, November 19, 2009

On comfort

Reflecting on the THING we've been living with for 2 1/2 years:
Oh Lord, what comfort do I have on earth besides you? You have saved my soul.
Apart from you, the stress and sameness of daily life would be pure drudgery. What would be the value of my work if that's all there is – work? Even the things I buy with the money I earn lose their appeal. That once-new car already looks shabby.
I could spend lots of time and money to make myself look marvelous. Maybe that would make me feel good. I could work out, buy expensive clothes, support the cosmetologists, and even go under the knife. But could I stop the decay at work in my body? That once-new car and I are in good company.
Without you, Lord, my heart would be pierced when the doctor tells me I'm at death's door. A good doctor might help me out of a crisis. I might go on living for a while, years maybe, but could he keep me out of the grave altogether? Either he or I will get there first. And I would despair if I thought I would cease to exist. All my life I've been connected to family, friends, my neighborhood, the beauty of this world. What if I were cut off? Disconnected forever? How could I bear the thought?
But you, Lord, offer comfort like no other. You play by different rules. I may work hard and struggle with drudgery; but you assure me a better life awaits me in heaven. I may grow old over time – and look it. But you remind me that true beauty goes beyond appearances, and you reveal time in light of timelessness – my inheritance. And when it comes to sickness and dying, you are the Great Physician. There's nobody like you. Who else could tell me not to be afraid and then give me true peace? Who else could offer me eternal life and back up the promise? Now I have a different viewpoint. My huge troubles have become harmless thanks to you. What comfort do I have in this world besides you? You have saved my soul.

No comments: