Disqus

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Adrift in dreamland

Although I did not observe Susan having any seizures yesterday, the EEG recorded eight in a 10-hour period. The visible ones are potentially more dangerous to her body, so it’s good that the activity has been sub-clinical. She’s on Ativan round the clock to break the seizure cycles. It makes her sleep a lot over four hours so far today.

I couldn’t imagine staying asleep while a nurse attached a cuff and took my blood pressure, but Susan did. She also slept through having her finger pricked for a glucose test, having the room cleaned, and having a neurologist view her EEG screen while conferring with me from three feet away. That’s enough to make a Buccowich proud – we who descend from a long line of semi-professional sleepers. 

All of this long winter napping has made for a quieter day since she hasn’t been roused enough for therapy. The Ativan effect is evidently quite contagious as sleep became my only activity for at least an hour. So vigorous was my sympathetic exercise that I need a little rest afterwards.

Susan has awakened at last and is in good spirits. She hasn't had any seizures that I noticed again today, so we'll see what the EEG reveals. There’s still no word on discharge. Thoughts of a jailbreak consume me. We're thankful for a world class health care facility with flat-screen TVs and for ESPN with college bowl games.

No comments: