Disqus

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Grandma Ellen goes to Heaven


Mon 02/25/08
My 100 year-old grandmother passed away last night in her sleep. After struggling with dementia in recent years, having recent complications from congestive heart failure and becoming unable to walk only a few weeks ago, she truly was ready to go to heaven. I joined my mother, Aunt Evelyn and Cousin Cathy at the nursing home to offer comfort in dealing with an event that was expected but never easy. In spite of her struggle of the past weeks as her body failed and she reckoned with her dying, the ultimate peacefulness of her passing reminded me that death has nothing to do with evil – no matter what our horror film culture would have us believe. For the Christian, death is our ultimate transition from the earthly bonds of time, flesh, and deterioration into the presently unimaginable freedom of being completely with God and beholding Him face to face in all of His glory. I marvel to wonder what that’s like for Grandma now.
I am privileged to have known this special person who was my grandmother. Here is a brief tribute: Eleanore Fredericke Marie Vogel

No comments: