Disqus

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Good MRI, bad nausea

Yesterday at our clinic visit with Dr Cloughesy at UCLA we were once again relieved to learn that Susan’s brain tumor remains stable. A fourth stable scan since beginning CPT-11 and Avastin infusions in June makes for an excellent trend. Also, with slightly improved liver enzymes, she was able to receive the CPT-11 again after a six-week layoff. Even so, last night brought a struggle with nausea and vomiting that thankfully hasn’t been too much of an issue for Susan – and hopefully will ease soon. She had some vomiting on Tuesday prior to chemo, some abdominal cramps yesterday during chemo, and a long spell of vomiting during the night. We’re used to having a variety of suspects when an unpleasant symptom arises, so this is no exception. The urinary tract infection we learned yesterday has made a comeback can cause vomiting. The antibiotic she began taking last night for the infection can cause vomiting. Weaning off steroids like Susan is doing can cause vomiting. The chemo she had yesterday can cause vomiting. In any case, last night was a rough one. She managed to eat a little food today and get some rest. Hopefully, she’s past the worst of it. In the big picture, Susan’s official medical prognosis is still “guarded,” thanks in a big way to her tumor stability. When dealing with a brain tumor like GBM, terms like “stable” and “guarded” actually are comforting. We’re still in God’s hands, as always.

We strolled to Westwood Village again yesterday after chemo and had lunch at Jerry’s Deli. When we were led coincidentally to the same table we had last time, I wheeled Susan into place and my mind flashed to our meal there two months ago. I’m so thankful for how much she’s improved just since then. Nurse Nikki had remarked earlier at Susan’s progress when she realized Susan was thick in our conversation together – that hadn’t been possible last summer. As we approach Thanksgiving Day, I am aware of many reasons to be grateful. Susan continues on a good path of recovery. Our children have their mother back home after a long absence. The malignant brain tumor that changed our lives 17 months ago has not advanced since April. We’re blessed with caregivers that allow me to work as much as possible. Our family and church support us in countless and priceless ways. The Living God we trust meets our needs each day. We are grateful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Mike and Susan:

Like you, I attend ERC. You don't know me, but I'm praying for you. I don't know if this will help, but my mother receives a newsletter from a doctor at the Whitaker Wellness Institute in Newport Beach. One of the newsletters stuck with me: it was referring to a cancer research doctor named Dr. Burzynski (www.burzynskiclinic.com) with an absolutely amazing success rate.

Although I've prayed for Susan's health, I'm ashamed to say I don't do it as often as I should. I pray now that I learn to accept God's grace as well as you have, and that this information I truly believe God reminded me of comes of some use to you.

Be blessed, and know there are great amounts of love for you in the hearts of all who know you.