Disqus

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Easy trip from pre-op to post-op

After deciding Susan would not have the Inter-stim bladder pacemaker implanted for good, there was still the matter of the electrodes placed in August in her low back – foreign objects now with no useful purpose. The outpatient procedure on Wednesday at UCLA to have them removed went smoothly and made us grateful to put the issue behind us. After checking in at 7:30am, Susan got to pre-op about 8:00, went into surgery at 8:30, and was in recovery in less than an hour. By the time I saw her a bit before 10:00, she was able to wake up and start shaking off the anesthesia. I was impressed with her chipper mood and the quick progress she made without complications or much pain. We left by 11:00, had a bite to eat, and zipped home. She was a bit tired that afternoon, but only slightly more than normal, and has been feeling well since.

This procedure going smoothly is more evidence of how well Susan is doing these days. She has frequent episodes of headache and fatigue and needs several hours of rest, but she usually revives later or by the next morning. She’s stable. There’s been no great improvement, but no nasty complications either for a number of months. We’re thankful. We sense God’s hand holding and guiding us, and we’re aware of the continual prayers people lift up on our behalf. God is keeping us – and we’re doing well.

When I was filling out Susan’s pre-op forms and came to the section about religious and other preferences, there was a question about preferred communication style. I recall the choices were “verbal,” “written,” “demonstrated,” and “other.” I overcame my brief urge to check “other” and write in “puppet show.” But I love the thought of it.
Later, when we went to the Plaza Deli for our meal, Susan’s turkey sandwich order came up before my chicken Caesar salad. During several minutes of waiting, I gathered up utensils, napkins, and drink refills. Susan wondered where my Caesar salad was. I said, “They’re looking for an emperor, but they’re awfully hard to find these days. They keep getting murdered. It’s the senators – and the hemlock.”

No comments: