Disqus

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

On faith


With over three years since Susan’s brain tumor came along, we've come to accept the reality of our situation and trust God with the outcome. Every now and then I’m reminded of the grim statistics, and saw another today: fewer than ten percent of people with GBM are still alive five years after diagnosis. Still, Susan has outlived the average survival of 12-18 months and has responded to treatment each time her tumor has grown. So, we keep in mind that statistics are a collection of data about a topic, and they don’t determine the outcome for a person with brain cancer. As I noted recently, Susan has had no great improvement, but hasn’t had any nasty complications for a number of months, while her tumor has been stable for a year. Our stance remains the same – trusting God, praying always, hoping for the best, and ready for anything.
 
Given our outlook, we haven’t needed to ask why. I think lots of people get stuck there. Upheaval is frustrating. It doesn’t make sense. It’s not fair. It’s natural to bog down in it, shake your fist at the sky, and demand, “Why?” But we accept that if the question is unanswerable, we waste a lot of resources asking it. Instead, we’ve found peace in trusting the Lord and his good, mysterious plans for us, and focusing on our response to our situation. That's a work in progress; but we have peace. Even so, the desire for understanding remains, though not in a disruptive way. It just makes me wonder – what is God doing?
 
I was invited to sing on the worship team at church on Sunday at 9:00 and 10:30, an activity that used to be a weekly routine but now is something we can manage once in a while when Bob asks and when Susan is doing well. We used to be at church for hours on Sundays, interacting with lots of different people all over the campus. Lately it’s different – we park in a handicapped space near the side entrance, scoot into the sanctuary sometimes on time, visit the restroom after the 9:00 service, get home so Susan can rest, and interact with whomever we might see within that small space and time. But this Sunday we were there for several hours once again, more mobile, and able to run across a variety of people. The recurring comment amazed me: people are praying for us. We know this, but Susan and I continually heard words like, “I’m praying for you.” “We pray for you every night.” “You’re in our daily prayers.” “Our small group prayed for you this morning.” It was awesome to hear, in random encounters, over and over again. The message was unavoidable. It made me wonder – what is God doing?
 
Last night while dreaming I heard a voice say, “Faith is like a tree. It sends down roots and grows strong and tall, stretching its leaves to the sky.” Then I heard another voice. “No, faith is like a feather, delicate and blown around by the wind, and completely unable to fulfill its purpose on its own. But with others, connected to the body and the wings of the Holy Spirit, it soars to unimaginable heights.” THAT made me wonder.

3 comments:

Ann Burkhardt said...

Mike,
I can relate so much to what you wrote having gone through so much cancer with my family. He truly holds us throughout our journey. Knowing that people are praying and that He hears the prayers gives us comfort, no matter the outcome.
I LOVE that you heard those messages. I don't wonder at all that you did.
Take care,
Ann

Anonymous said...

it is interesting, I wonder If a husband who would shelter and carefor and pray for a great lady like Susan was not all part of His plan.I shudder to think how different things might be for her with no one in her corner , or a different man without the same heart. I believe you were chosen because of your faith to help each other on this journey of deep roots and soaring heights to learn how to trust God together for his answer he will give you at the appropriate time. for now I believe His answer was and is and will be love. You guys have it and you always will. May his healing love saturate your wife who must love you so much. I know He loves you so much more. Stand in His love. I am praying for you both.

Diane Bartosch said...

Mike thanks so much for sharing your story with all of us. It helps me to see that others have faith and that even though times are difficult, Faith is real and I need to be reminded of that often, so I am searching everywhere to hear real stories of faith and trust in God,