Disqus

Sunday, May 5, 2013

Resting

Susan is resting. She woke up early, feeling well, had breakfast and got a clean gown and sheets. She asked for her glasses using words she couldn’t come up with two weeks ago. Now she’s resting. Yesterday she had a severe headache, took some pain meds and then rested. She rests a lot.

I’ve camped on Psalm 62 this week, which begins, “My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.”

I love that Susan has found her soul’s rest in the Lord. I believe it’s the singular reason she’s prevailed in peace and strength for nearly six years under the decay of brain cancer. It’s why the ICU nurse asked her if she ever complains. She just doesn’t. She voices pain when she hurts too much; but her resting soul prevents her from raging or railing against it. There’s a difference.

Our souls long for rest. We spend our lives trying to find it. As Americans, we’re particularly good at the pursuit and are invited to partake from the nearest TV, computer, billboard or radio: nicer clothes, sleeker cars, fuller lashes, harder-hitting entertainment, smoother beer and better investments. We buy it up because we can’t get no satisfaction. Really, we’re desperate for rest.

Susan’s pursuit for satisfaction disappeared overnight nearly six years ago. While fighting for her life, having a new summer purse no longer mattered. Neither did a new hairstyle, nor the HDTV. You may not have said we were overly materialistic; but it seems many of the things we valued proved unreliable for life’s foundation. Quickly failing when tested, our false supports gave way to our true foundation in God.

There’s a reason David says, “He alone is my rock and my salvation.” Rock is massive and immovable. It lasts, especially when compared to things of earth that come and go, things that rot or break, things we think are important. God is our mighty rock.

Salvation is the ultimate. What, or who, can save us? Who besides the Lord? Who else said he made us? Who else said he can save us? Who else has made good on every promise in spite of our attempts to explain him away? Who else, brokenhearted about our rebellion from him, offers us salvation and not annihilation? Who else offers provision and purpose on earth in exchange for our devotion – and the hope of heaven besides?

In light of all else that claims to offer what our souls need, God is a worthy refuge. “He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.” He’s where Susan found her soul’s rest a long time ago. Heaven, whenever she goes there, will be just another form of it.

No comments: