Disqus

Thursday, March 28, 2013

A new port catheter

Tonight's surgery went well. Susan went down to the OR shortly after 6pm for her procedures to implant a new port catheter and internalize her shunt, and returned to her room about 9:30.

I had a call from one of the vascular surgeons just after 7pm who said an ultrasound showed the veins near Susan’s neck on either side weren’t viable, so they’d need to implant the catheter in her thigh. The surgeon I had spoken with for consent said that might be necessary as a last resort.

I was sad after speaking with the surgeon in OR as I thought how awkward and difficult it will be to lower Susan’s pants every time someone needs to draw blood or infuse meds. I then became angry to think she’d had a perfectly good catheter in place before it was cut accidentally. Susan's been through so much.

I lifted it to the Lord and rested a while, waking up with a phone call from the vascular surgeon again. She said the procedure was done, Susan was doing well, and the neuro team was about to come in and internalize the shunt. She also said they went ahead and placed the new catheter near her neck on the left side they’d discovered that thigh placement would be upstream of her IVC filter for blood clots. They found the upper vein on the left side of her neck to be just fine. What a relief. My prayer went from petition and waiting to thanks. God is good in attending to these details.

It’s been nearly a month since Susan’s hospital stays began. I wish she were strong enough to come home; but she’ll need time in acute rehab – hopefully now without being disrupted by any setbacks. We’re arranging to transfer her back to Long Beach tomorrow, so that’s one step closer to home. Thanks to everyone for praying tonight and to God for answering.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

G-d bless you and Susan. Your story brings me strength and comfort as I follow my mother through her 5-yr GBM journey. Susan and you are amazing. Your faith in the lord and commitment to eachother is an inspiration!
May kindness and peace always surround you both!
Sincerely,
Lora, FL.