Disqus

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Shunt procedure

The neurosurgery team is doing a procedure to pull the lower part of her shunt near her clavicle so they can remove its blockage and it can drain blood and CSF externally. We pray for no complications. Her symptoms are still good. 

Our neuro-oncologist Dr Nghiemphu showed me this morning's CT scan and new pockets of blood in three areas: tumor cavity, ventricles, and left occipital brain.  The first two are not too worrisome since they're open spaces; but the brain area could have visual or cognitive effect. Time will tell.  

It's possible the hemorrhage actually caused the hydrocephalus if bleeding began, clotted in the shunt, and blocked the flow of fluid. So two separate complications may be cause and effect. 

Dr Nghiemphu forewarned me that whatever cognitive hit the bleed may have caused may take a long time to resolve or may not resolve at all. She said hemorrhages are troublesome; and we don't know how this latest insult to Susan's brain may have damaged it. So far she seems okay to me since she woke up. Let's pray for healing and restoration. 

"Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me, for in you my soul takes refuge. I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings until the disaster has passed." Psalm 57:1

Sent from my iPhone

No comments: