Disqus

Sunday, March 24, 2013

ICU day 5

Sunday in ICU was another restful one for Susan, who didn’t fall asleep until 4am again. Since her wakefulness might be due to round-the-clock interruptions for neuro exams, meds, and blood tests (ya think?), tonight she’ll be on “sleep hygiene.” That means they’ll keep interruptions to a minimum. I like to make fun; but they really do a great job here of balancing treatment vs patient needs. Hopefully, she’ll get better rest. 

To add to Susan’s progressing recovery, our buddy Chris removed her EEG electrodes today. We’re now well-acquainted with the EEG guy who set up her first EEG in December, her second in February, and removed the third today. Another hospital pal – he’s one of ten EEG guys here, so having him get Susan again is kind of a kick. Also today her CSF drain started working, the previously clogged line they extracted on Friday. I’m not sure why it’s working now, but that’s okay. I’m also not sure how getting her brain drain working will affect timing for surgery – I just know there’s no word yet on when she’ll go to the OR. 

Yesterday was our 28th anniversary, so we celebrated the way you do in ICU, without flowers. Whatever. We just go with it. It’s ironic to be here at UCLA since my school calendar when I attended here dictated our wedding date. We felt the fall of 1984 would be too soon to pull off the wedding, and were too eager to wait until the summer of 1985. March 23, 1985 followed my final exams and commenced spring break, so that was the day

Sometimes I’ll hear a guy refer to his wife as his “ball and chain.” My version of that sad and foolish view is that Susan and I have a ball being together and treasure a long chain of experiences as husband and wife. We thank God often for the gift of life and for the gift of each other. We sensed his hand in bringing us together and in calling us to spend our lives as one. He’s blessed me beyond belief with Susan.

It’s been fun to see how the staff here reacts to us. Since healthy, long-lasting marriages now are sadly rare in our culture, people are encouraged to see a couple who actually are in love, happy, stable, and all of that. To us, it’s neither odd nor complicated make a sincere commitment in marriage and keep it, so we’re glad to share what that’s like. I’m thankful I could wish Susan a happy anniversary yesterday. I remember hoping to reach our 25th, so it’s wonderful that we’ve banked even several more years.

No comments: