Disqus

Monday, June 16, 2008

Out of it

After doing some grocery shopping after the boys came home from school while Susan slept, I came home to wake her so we could meet a psychologist who may help our kids better handle their mom’s situation. (I had asked one of our brain buddies Cristina Zavaleta if she knew of a counselor since her husband Hank is five years in to his GBM journey. Although I think I have good levels of communication with our kids, I don’t want to ignore any resource that might help them cope. It’s theirs if they need it.) When I woke Susan, her lack of reaction startled me. She was looking straight ahead at me but didn’t seem to see me. She didn’t respond to my greeting. I wondered if she was having a seizure as I raised my voice to get her attention. She responded, but ended up being exceptionally weak and disoriented the whole evening. I really shouldn’t have brought her out of the house, but didn’t have a choice since we were racing the clock as we left. I also hoped a walk and a visit might revive her. It didn’t. Getting to and from the doctor’s office took forever and seemed to drain Susan even more. It’s clear she needs to use her walker again and not just her cane – the first time in over seven months.. While the lower dose of decadron might be lifting her symptoms on one hand, last week’s chemo treatment might be pulling her down on the other. I pray it’s not tumor progression. We’ll find out in a week.

No comments: