Disqus

Friday, June 13, 2008

A bit of a lift


Susan seemed a bit more with it this morning and had more energy. Even though she wore down and regressed again as the day went on, I was grateful for the lift because everything’s been going so one-way lately. She spent the evening with her parents and Lexie while the boys and I went to the Angel game courtesy of a client of mine. We enjoyed the outing and the relaxed ballpark atmosphere along with Big-Bang Friday fireworks after the game. Sue’s parents took her to Sizzler for dinner where she had trouble focusing on eating except when it came to dessert. It’s amazing how soft serve ice cream requires no prompting.

Coming home after my evening of respite with the boys, the reality of Susan’s illness returned and weighed on me again as we lay down again at bedtime. I said,


I’m glad I married you. (I’m glad I married you, honey.) I’m glad I met you. (I am too.) You’re my best friend. (I’m glad.) You’ve always been a good helper for me. (That’s what I was supposed to be.) Are you going to leave me? (What kind of question is that?) Are you going to die? (That’s not the sense that I have.) I’m glad. Do you believe Jesus can heal you? (Yes. Do you?) Yes. I know He can. (We’ll just ask Him to heal me.) Yes, we’ll keep on asking. I’ve been troubled with not knowing what will happen. But it’s not for me to know. Colossians 3 says “Set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God.” Psalm 27 says “Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.” So that’s what we’re going to keep doing – we’ll set our hearts on things above and wait for the Lord. He knows what to do. (Ok. That’s what we’ll do.)

No comments: